I finished this over the weekend. I probably should have more polished photos taken, which would require me to put some thought into what I’m wearing underneath it, but you get the idea. This is definitely not a top to wear with my usual v-necked t-shirts.
Someone on Twitter asked me how long this took me to knit, and I estimated probably around 60 actual work hours. According to Ravelry, I started it November 10, 2010 and I finished it last Saturday, February 5, 2011, so a little under 3 months from start to finish. At one point, I thought the stitch count on the yoke was going to turn out wrong, but I was wrong, thankfully. This is a well written pattern and easy to follow. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a first sweater pattern as it’s a top-down raglan, and the lace isn’t too complicated as long as you use stitch markers at reasonable intervals. I was able to quickly catch a mistake because I had hit a stitch marker and my count was off. Two thumbs up for the pattern. I used Cascade Rustic which is 79% wool and 21% linen and single-ply. For those two fibers, it’s remarkably soft. There were some thick-thin issues which mostly averaged out, but there was one huge slub in one of the skeins I had gotten. Thankfully, it’ll show up on the back of one arm, so no one will notice. I also really like the heathery look due to the dye absorption differences between wool and linen. I avoided weaving in ends by spit splicing the old and new skeins. Since the yarn content is almost 4/5s wool, this technique worked beautifully. I got the buttons at my local yarn store, and as soon as I saw them, I knew they would go perfectly with the yarn. I can’t wait to wear it for my conference presentation next week.